Monday, April 8, 2013

Tollins

Well, maybe I DO read at an alarming rate, because I have finished yet another book. This is different than the other book I've read. It is...

                                                   Tollins, by Conn Iggulden
                           
                                  http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kRefLUc0L.jpg

Rating: Four Stars

I found this book in the children's section of the library, but it still managed to capture my attention with its bright red cover and the Dangerous Book for Boys seal. I loved the Dangerous Book for Girls, so I thought I would give it a try.

This book was NOT what I expected. Which I guess is good, because I had low expectations. It was unlike any other book about winged creatures. I do not call them fairies , because they make a clear explanations that they are TOLLINS, not fairies. 

Tollins had three stories, all which were interesting.They were How to Blow Up Tollins, in which Tollins try to find a solution to stop men from using them for color for their fireworks. In Sparkler and the Purple Death, a Tollin named Sparkler tries to find a way to escape from prison and execution when he was wrongly judged.  The last story, Windbags and Dark Tollins, Sparkler goes up in a hot air balloon, and Tollins from the country aren’t good house guests.

All these books have some form of science in them, and I actually learned a bit. Tollins explain chemicals, the atmosphere, and how steam is REALLY helpful. Like some forms of salt can make firework colours, and that the atmosphere goes thin, thick, thin, and steam... can be more explosive than dynamite. ( Don't try that at home)

I would recommend this to 4th graders or early 5th graders because it is simple, yet educational. I liked it a lot, and after reading this have many sympathies for fairies(you have been warned). I also heard that there were sequels, so I might look into that...

I have really enjoyed blogging, and if you have any suggestions, please leave a comment or follow! Look out for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment